Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reality Check


I am one of those odd artists that has a good right brain/left brain mix. It has helped me hold jobs such as a compliance auditor, policy writer and now project manager. I have a business degree. Yet, until early this year, I never applied this business sense fully to my life as an artist. I had grand delusions that I would eventually make enough money as an artist that money would never be an issue. Boy did I pay a price for lying to myself like that!

Unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, coming up with a strong financial plan is imperative to your long term viability. Of course we all want to make a living solely as an artist. But you need to have a good relationship with money so you can sleep comfortably in the meantime!

Also, in moving to New York, I have acquired more of a sense of being a "citizen of the world"..which means I must behave accordingly. What the heck does that mean? I am making a more concerted effort to live in harmony with the world. Learning about what is going on in the economy, politics, and the environment. As long as I am living, I might as well be learning. Eh?

I will be exploring this here in this blog. I still love shoes, wine, and dry humor...so that will come up here, too!

This is my journey as a human being. Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment