Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Unknown Artist (or La Raison d'Etre)


Thanks for dropping by again today. I am glad you responded to my link in the email announcement that I had resurrected my blogging habit. (If you stumbled here randomly then you have no idea who I am and that is just fine, too!) I am currently content to be the Unknown Artist. However, I wanted to pay full homage to my hero complex and thus named this blog Badass Nika Brown.

I had been blogging from 2003 to 2008 under my real name. It was harmless enough. Then someone was researching me for non-acting purposes and there was my blog for all the world to see, directly linked to me. It happened twice in a three month period. One incident involved a legal matter. Yep, my blog was entered as evidence in a court of law. The second was a job opportunity, which I ultimately loss. Don’t get me wrong. I am not hiding the fact that I am an actor. I just don’t want to be judged for being an actor without having an opportunity to put it into perspective. Once I make my living solely as an actor, then who cares what surfaces in a Google search? But as long as I am reliant on the corporate machine for my primary income, then I have to play by the rules.

Not using my real name on this page also provides a thin veil of cover from the big muckety mucks in the industry as well. An actor up for a series or a major film role is usually researched by the business affairs department before contracts are finalized. Why make my personal thoughts on the industry subject to a hit on a Google alert? Of course a bit more due diligence will land you here, eventually. When this happens frequently enough it will be safe to say my quest for such anonymity will be moot.

My circumstances dictate that I require a veil of anonymity until I make a sustainable living solely as an artist. Obviously, the more paid work I obtain as an actor the less important remaining anonymous here becomes. Please understand that fame and fortune are not my desired outcome. In fact, after walking the red carpet twice this year, I am certain I would not do well under heavy scrutiny. I am sure it gets easier each time, but it is unmistakably a lot of work. This past week I had a discussion with two friends about my desires, or lack thereof, for fame and fortune, which I will blog about later.

“Clarity is obtained when you can separate your sleep dreams, your fears, your fantasies and your reality”. - Rodan of Alexandria

Cue music: Steve Wonder, Happy birthday to ya’!
Ralph Macchio [1962], Matthew McConaughey [1969], Markie Post [1950], Doris Roberts [1929] and Loretta Swit [1937].

No comments:

Post a Comment